Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sprinkles/Jimmies and Comfort Food

If there is one thing in the world that makes me happy it would have to be sprinkles. Ask my BFF Kathryn, she adores BFFs Kathryn and Abby they adore sprinkles even more than I do. Over the years, I have been conflicted as to what to call them. I suppose on my first introduction, my parents called them sprinkles, but then down the shore, and through a couple of my other friends I started to call them jimmies and sprinkles interchangeably. Regardless of the name, there is something about sprinkles that brings you back to your first ice cream cone. Or more recently, my last Phillies ice cream helmet with sprinkles on top. (Which btw, I'm gonna post one of my Christmas craft projects from last year in order to hopefully inspire me for a new ornament this year--if anyone has any great new ideas please let me know!)
Bedazzled Phillies Ice Cream Helmet

Although we're way past Halloween and I'm just catching up I decided to make a batch of Funfetti Halloween Cookies to give to my kids for Districts and to bring with me for Kelly and her amazing friends in Hoboken.
Cross country girls <3 Funfetti and showing off their decorated nails!

 
My obsession for jimmies continued when I saw this amazing recipe for cake batter and sprinkle bark. I suggest upping the recipe to 3 TABLEspoons of cake batter, and it can definitely be a great idea for the holidays--using red and green sprinkles of course!


And to cap it all off I had a cupcake martini at Hoboken Bar and Grill to complete my sprinkle heaven. I found this recipe on Pinnacle's website that isn't exactly the same, but should taste just as good!
Birthday Cake Martini
1 oz. Pinnacle Cake
1 tsp. dry vanilla cake mix
½ oz. chocolate liqueur
½ oz. half & half
Shake with ice and strain into a
shot glass. Top with whipped
cream and colored sprinkles.

After all that sweetness, I have finally also turned my life around to cooking real meals. (I was sick for about two weeks and all I literally ate was soup. Although I do love myself some soup I was ready for some more heartier meals). Last night I cooked up this Chicken and Spinach Pasta Bake and was very delighted with the homey feel, but also with the spinach and tomatoes I at least felt like I was getting my veggies in too! I opted to use rotini instead of rigatoni and sauteed the onions as I was cooking the chicken in olive oil. It made the recipe go a lot quicker and did not take away from the taste at all. I really have to say that it is probably one of my favorite casseroles of all time because the chive and onion cream cheese makes it oh-so-good! Definitely a go-to-quick-comfort meal in the future!

No comments: