Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chevron Changes






I think I'm ready to share my blog with others after effectively making new changes to my studio. Like a lot of fellow D.I.Y.ers I wanted to incorporate the amazing chevron stripes in some way in my new place. I opted to try the daunting task of taping the stripes off and then painting over them with my chosen color of Behr's Heron Blue. I decided to use a flat paint because I figured the flat blue/grey color would allow the stripes to pop in their off white creme color that the walls were originally painted.

Here's how I did it:
1. Measured 6 feet up on my wall with a measuring tape, marking off spots about every 6 inches or so (yep totally eyeballed this--no level or anything) and then matched the points.

2. Decided a "pattern" would be easist, so I had a leftover particle board backing to a frame and used a kitchen knife to score the board on either side to change it from a rectangle into a square pattern. Note: a triangle pattern would work better if you have an exacto knife--I didn't so I went with the easiest shape.

3. Went across the entire wall lining up the points of the square (held like a diamond) to my line.

4. Took scotch blue with edgelock painters tape and lined over my triangles.

5. Orginally I thought I could just lower my 6 foot line by an inch and a half because that is the width of the painters tape; however, after I did that I could tell that my white and blue lines would not be even. It turns out I had to go 2 inches below my original 6 foot high line because I think it's due to something with the hypotenuse of the triangle and it being longer than the width--don't ask me I wasn't a Trig expert--but basically lowering your line 2 inches will work if you use 1.5 in. tape. I then repeated the previous steps 2 more times to create 3 taped off lines.

6. Painted. Waited. Peeled. Beautifulness.

I really can't believe it worked with my first time EVER painting a wall. I guess my go big or go home philosophy works with painting as well. If you decide to try this, it will take a while to measure and tape off, but I am really excited with the overall effect. The chevron stripes have made my studio feel so much bigger by using the 3 lines. I stopped with 3 because I felt more would be overwhelming, but if you have a bigger space, it definitely wouldn't hurt to do more.

No comments: